Sunday, July 21, 2013

Headwaters Adventure Race 2013

This was our third year that we signed up to do the Headwaters Adventure Race.  The course consists of a 2 mile run, 10 mile bike, and 5 mile canoe / kayak.   The week of the race, the small creek in our front yard looked something like this:


So I was not surprised when we got an email saying that the paddling portion of the race was going to be cancelled.  Rivers all around northeast Ohio were setting records for flow and many were at flood stage.

The kayak section is always my strength and where I do all my passing.  I knew I would have to step up my game in the run and bike.   As soon as we pulled in I saw my inspiration and competition, the mother to an Olympian, but most importantly the lady who wins this race every year.  She sat out last year and subsequently I won the race!  Let's call her RF.  She was getting out her bike and tutoring another girl (let's call her Miami) on how to use her spare bike.  That girl looked fast as well.   Yikes!  Competition for sure!   

After the run, I was the 3rd girl, behind RF and Miami.   Hoped on my bike and headed to the first hill of death.  I passed up RF on the hill of death and kept pedaling like mad expecting her to pass me up again.  She never did!   However on mile 8, "muscles" girl comes from nowhere and passes me on a DOWNHILL and I just could not catch back up.  So I ended 3rd overall.  My bike was 4 minutes faster than last year so I was very happy with my performance.  Miami won with a 45:51.  Turns out she is on the cross country team at Miami University (division 1 college) and "muscles" got 2nd with a 46:07.  Not that I google stalk people, but she has her PhD in Performance and Exercise Science, looks like a body builder, and is in the University of New Hampshire Athletic Hall of Fame for gymnastics.  WOWSA!  I had a 46:16.   It was very very solid competition!  

I called my mom to tell her I got 3rd and she said, "Well I guess you should start running more".  

Ha!  Always room for improvement! ;)

No comments: