Friday, August 24, 2012

Workin for the Money

^^ has nothing to do with this post but is too cute not to share :)


I have officially survived 8 days as a working mom.  As most of you know, I was on a two year vacation.  That is what I considered my childcare leave!    I can't tell you how many times we missed being somewhere at 10:30 AM because that was TOO EARLY! ;)   I did a lot of sleeping in, a lot of cuddling with my babe, a lot lot lot lot lot of NOT following schedules, and a LOT of appreciating my time at home because I knew it was short lived.

I'll be honest.  I always wanted to be a stay at home mom, and I still do deep down. I struggled with my decision to go back to work daily for almost 2 years and I know I'll struggle with guilt in the future.  Ultimately it was two things that made me go back: I have my "dream job" sitting in my lap that I would regret quitting plus we want to be able to afford to "keep the family farm" when the time comes, whenever that may be.  

So after 8 days at work, I know it is a bit early to say this but, BEING AT WORK IS A HECK OF A LOT EASIER THAN BEING AT HOME!   The transition has gone great and when I'm in my classroom it feels like I have only been gone over the summer.  Getting Blaine up early is the worst; he is so sad and pathetic about the way he says "noooooooooooooo" and "beddddddddddddddd", not to mention the uncontrollable crying from awakening at 6:15 AM, but other than that the days have been going well!  He's with family 2 days a week and with a sitter for 3.

Can't forget to mention our babysitter is some sort of miracle worker:  I've been potty training Blaine for 2 years plus and still struggling with some things.  However, after only 3 days there, he is what I consider 95% trained.  He can even walk to the potty without being told to then pull down his pants AND undies now!  [you may remember we were having issues with that].   My fears about him becoming "untrained" there were totally irrational!

Naps could be going better but ya can't have everything! ;)

Hopefully week three at work goes just as well!

10 comments:

Peggy said...

Yay, for you and Blaine. It is always going to be hard to leave him but he is going to do great. He will learn new things in different ways. They learn so much in just one day at his age.
The public potty was the hard part for Ian, those things are scary I guess. Now finally, that problem is solved and Ian starts pre-school next week!

Tara said...

so glad you transition back to work is a positive one! I was just thinking the other day how much I sometimes miss teaching. It sounds like, aside from early mornings, Blaine is doing really well too. Happy back to school!

Nikki said...

Glad to hear that things are going well! I start back at school this week, and I'm dreading it and looking forward to it at the same time. That's the nice thing about being a teacher, I feel like I get the best of being able to stay home on breaks, but also being able to have that time outside of my home, which is important to me too. I hope that things continue to go well!!! (P.S. It's crazy how early you guys start!)

Anna & Kirby said...

yay...good job mom and blaine! Kaden likes his daycare, but I'm having trouble deciding if I made the right decision to go back. Pumping at school has been challenging.

Claire {Beaktweets} said...

wow! good for you. so happy it's been a smooth transition!!

Kate said...

The early mornings will get easier - Mondays are the hardest for us after the boys have been able to sleep in all weekend. By Tuesday we're back on track and good for the week. Glad you're enjoying being back in the classroom!

P.S. I want your babysitter - mine won't even touch potty training yet!

Amanda said...

Im so glad the transition is easier than you expected. What a cutie you've got there.

Leslie said...

I was thinking about you earlier and came to Blogger JUST to check to see if you had any updates about working. I'm thrilled that the transition has been pretty easy for you! I love my SAH gig, but definitely feel you when you say working is easier! I have been having some seriously crazy days around my house and told my husband I was going back to work. I'm not...yet...but man I have days when it sounds so appealing! Thanks for adding that totally unrelated picture your cutie. Blaine is one good-lookin' kid! :)

diana said...

Blaine is adorable. I love his hair too. I just cut Logan's again, since I did an awful job of it last time, and I went too short. He looks even older and I really just want him to stay a baby forever.

I'm glad your return to work went well. That is a huge schedule change, but hopefully it'll just get better as time goes on. I'm not a morning person at all, but Logan is. He's never slept past 7:30 before.

Janelle said...

I completely agree - being at work is easier than being home! Mornings may get easier. I find snacks help curb the crying (hard to cry with a graham cracker in their mouth!).

Glad it is going well.