Monday, May 2, 2011

Springtime Around the Garden




Well I figured the Royal Wedding Day was about as lucky as I was going to get when picking a day to start my giant pumpkin seeds. { YES I WATCHED THE ENTIRE THING STARTING AT 4:50 AM, AND LOVED EVERY MINUTE! }

I wanted to start April 24th this year (figured Easter was lucky) but rains had other plans. In fact these next couple weeks aren't looking much better: the 10 day forecast has 9 days of rain in it. BLECH. Oh well, we'll see! Hopefully the forecast is wrong!


I started 10 seeds and had 100% germination success. WOO HOO! These seeds go for big $$ at auctions (even though I got them free) so it is always stressfull when you germinate them. Too much or too little moisture, too hot or too cold, and it could spell disaster! I actually had to send a replacement seed via UPS to Minnesota to a grower who couldn't germinate the 1725 seed I had sent him earlier.

Also in the garden so far, we've got garlic [planted last fall], peas, fava beans, onions, broccoli, cabbage, and califlower. Blaine is loving every minute he gets to spend outside in the greenhouse and in the garden!

10 comments:

Megan said...

I love the jammies on your little one!

Jill said...

I know it's lucky because it's my birthday! Good luck!

diana said...

My husband is working on getting our garden going. I'm going to try and learn but usually I kill any plant I'm responsible for.

Cheyenne said...

Ooooohhh...I'm really enthused to hear about all this! We don't usually plant our gardens until the end of May or so.

Excuse all my ignorance, because I don't have a clue about the giant pumpkins, but do you start them in the house under a heat lamp? Then move them to a greenhouse?

Kat said...

Yay for spring!

Kara said...

I'm impressed that you can have him sit on the grass without trying to EAT the grass. I've been too scared to even try that with my baby, lol.

basebell6 said...

LOL i watched him really close and no grass or dandelions went into his mouth!

yeah, we start the pumpkins indoors then move into 2 gallon pots in our greenhouse, then out to the patch / ground, covered with "hot houses". our frost date i think is around the middle or end of may but the last couple years we've had frosts around june 2nd.

Janelle said...

I finally got some goodies in the ground this weekend - spinach, lettuce, kale, parsnips, dill, peas, and chard. Can't wait for the sprouts! I am thankful that I don't have the stress of germination success...

High Mill Park said...

When did you find a dry spell to actually plant anything? Hehe. I only got some peas and onions in the ground and everything else is too wet. :( rough start.

Amanda said...

I love the photo of your little mister outside!