Friday, May 27, 2011

On Weaning.....

As the 1 year mark grows near my mind again wondering about weaning. My main concern right now? MORNING WAKEUP TIME! Once weaned, I'm pretty sure Blaine will get up in the morning at an ungodly early hour and will not go back to sleep. As it is now, he wakes up at 4:30 AM and I bring him to my bed and nurse him to sleep. Then he wakes up at 6, same thing. Wakes up at 7:30, same thing. My boob is the only thing keeping that kid asleep until 8:30 which is a much more acceptable time to start the day than 4:30 AM. I mean there are still some random days (last Monday for example) that he wakes up at 5 AM and even the boob trick won't work and we just get up and play then have naps at 7. But most days I can keep him asleep with my trickery until at least 7:30.

Ideas?

4 comments:

Heather said...

I wouldnt worry about a one year mark. You don't have to worry about going back to work anytime soon so I would just go with whatever works. My guess is that the older he gets he's going to start filling up more on baby foods and less on booby milk and it will just naturally drop down in frequency. Baby led weaning seems the easiest, less stressful route to me.

Kari said...

That's rough. We got really lucky and CIO worked for us...but I think you mentioned you tried that. Have you tried adjusting his bedtime at all? I read to adjust it by 20 minute increments to find the perfect bedtime that creates the perfect wake up time.

Weaning is my struggle now too, but of course I am weaning from the pump. I just can't help but feel guilty stopping.

Claire {Beaktweets} said...

i'm thinking the same thing. meredith still wakes at 5 most days, nurses and sleeps until 7:30.

i'm honestly not in a huge rush to change anything. she's happy and i'm happy to get a little more sleep.

clearly i'm no expert. i'm curious to see what you decide!

Janelle said...

Sorry so late to comment - a bit behind here :) I agree with Heather - no need to push the weaning since you don't have to worry about heading back to work. Once we switched Austin to drinking milk in the evening, instead of nursing, he started sleeping longer and longer. I don't know if it was the milk or a coincidence, but it somehow just worked. Perhaps it will be one of those things that just works itself out...I agree, 4:30 is not an acceptable wake time. He does have some farmer in his blood, and you know those farmers can wake awfully early :)!