Saturday, May 21, 2011

Dundee Falls, Ohio




























I'm doing this post because Dundee Falls is a place that has elluded me for oh, well 28 years. I only live 20 miles from there, and being an absolute waterfall fanatic, you'd have thought I WOULD HAVE ACTUALLY OF HEARD ABOUT IT BEFORE! Some girl in my class last year said, "Oh if you like waterfalls, you should go here" and whipped out her phone [yes they are banned in school] and showed me a pic. Of course she is a high schooler and had no clue where it was other than "by Beach City". Um, thanks but no help at all. However, my curiosity was peaked. Several google searches revealed nothing more than some flickr photos, some youtube videos of rock climbers, and a site that says the falls is part of a 1100 acre Wildlife Area. Oh and not to mention several websites quoting: "if you aren't a local you will never find it". No address. No parking coordintates. Nothing. Long story short, a friend and I set off today with nothing more than a name of a road. Talked to some locals. Found 2 incredible waterfalls and an area we will DEFINITELY go back to in order to do some more exploring!



P.S. the parking lot was 100% unmarked with no indication what-so-ever of the magesticness hiding in the forrest.



So it is my hope this blog post and map [ park where the smileys are, on camp road and on dundee wilmont road. each parking area leads to a waterfall; 2 total] help some googlers like me find this Ohio gem. [ Sorry if the map is blurry, you can click on it to see it larger and much more clear. Contact me with questions ].


*update 6/2/2011* I can see googlers arrives on this post every single day! If this has helped you and you did visit the falls, leave a comment and let me know!



10 comments:

Claire {Beaktweets} said...

those falls look gorgeous. can't believe it's not well marked. i guess you can feel extra special knowing about it :)

Anna & Kirby said...

Wow... I've never heard of that place either! I'm glad you found it! It looks beautiful :)

Lanny said...

Way to be persistent and adventurous. What a lovely place to visit and in shorts and a tee top. I'm wearing my rain pants again today, I got to take them off for a couple of days (one of the days it didn't rain I still needed them because I was going to be doing a lot of kneeling). And maybe I've taken off my sweater a bit to work in a tank top, but even our warmest day, 70* wasn't all that warm feeling. All that to say, I have slight weather envy - again.

Anonymous said...

Ahh been there a couple of times as a teen. Was talking about it just last weekend with my sister who has never been there. I'm like the road past the road to machan's rock or round about through kidron near dundee auto. Planning on making a revisit this weekend-thought I should check for sure the location as have not been there in 33 years!!! Thanks

Debbie said...

I just learned of this place also. My hubby and I are going to try and find it tomorrow.

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

Hey, I've been going tho the Dundee/Beach City Falls since I was 12 I'm 36 now and live and work in the mountains of Western N.C., I can tell you now that there is no other place that I've been that packs as much family friendly, choose your own adventure and mysterious places per acre than the Dundee Wildlife area. I've found evidence of ancient cultures tucked away in those special places with no graffiti or beer bottles. Amazing places and tales shown to my by 2 generations of family history in the area. My Grandma Treva attended the one room school house on Chestnut Ridge. Contact me for some off the beaten path places well worth an adventure. Find the cave yet?timtut@aol.com

Auntie O said...

My father showed me the Dundee Falls when they were still owned privately. They were pristine with amazing fawn and flora, no litter & no graffiti. Later we were privileged to live within walking distance of the falls.

Glad people are finding the beautiful Dundee Falls. We have noticed a HUGE increase of visitors to the falls. The downside of that is when visitors do not respect the natural beauty and dump trash, smash beer bottles against the rocks, disregard the no campfires signs, spray paint graffiti over the rocks, and tramp all over the natural flora instead of sticking to the common paths.

Camp Buckeye just down the road from the Camp Rd falls take their campers hiking there, but it has become dangerous due to all the broken glass.

If you go, please respect this amazing place and do not dump trash. In fact, bring some garbage bag and do your part in keeping our area green and trash free! Thank you so much. A nature lover!!!

Anonymous said...

It would be great if somebody would post gps cordinance for the falls

Anonymous said...

I grew up in this area as a teenager in the 1970's. Everybody knew about Dundee Falls! It is funny to see this posting, reminding me that senior skip day was spent at "The Falls". I'll remember it as beautiful. Thanks for the pics.