Saturday, April 16, 2011

Jumpin off the Train

On night #7 we had to jump off the sleep train (get it? sleep training? hardy harr harrrrr).

I had a 101 fever, Blaine had a 101 fever, we both had coughs and I truly believe cuddles were in order for all. Plus I think nursing is like giving babies medicine so the more often he did it, the quicker he'd get better (in my mind).

Who knows how long this sickness will last but I will not be making that kid cry until I know he is healthy again.

Speaking of sickness, Leslie made the comment on my breastfeeding post about how nursing for 15 months has resulting in her "body giving up" on her. I think my body has been giving up on me in a way. This was the first year since age 3 that I wasn't regularly attending some sort of germ bag errrrrrrr school (preschool, elementary school, high school, college, teaching at a high school, etc). I certainly thought I'd be the picture of health. WRONG!!! I've been sick so much this year I lost count and have been to the doctor three times. (I average one doctor visit a year and only took 1 sick day in 6 years of teaching).

So in summary: between nursing, running, getting no more than 2 consecutive hours of sleep per night, and caring for this little one, my body is VERY run down and giving up on me lately! I've had a fever for 3 days now and that is just crazy!!

Has anyone else noticed a downturn in health when they had babies?

6 comments:

Peggy said...

I think it is the doing without sleep. Now if you could have the baby and get enough sleep each night you would probably not be getting sick. You can't have someone else do the getting up at night when you breast feed. Heather was like the walking dead those first couple of months.

diana said...

That's really interesting. I never thought about it, but I guess lack of sleep and always being on the go could really make you sick more often than normal. Hope you all feel better soon!

Amber said...

I've been sick a few times this winter also but I think its due to the lack of sleep more than the breastfeeding. However, I will blame the baby sucking the life out of me :)

Kristin {Sea Cow Circus} said...

I think most of my slightly increased illnesses are just due to me being rundown, and then they feel vicious and lengthy because our treatment options are so limited. I'm just thankful that Elle never seems to get sick when I am!

Kara said...

Sleep training doesn't apply to sick babies! That's why I had to wait so long to do it for Faith because she was sick all the time from her allergy!

I hope you feel better soon!

Kate said...

Yep - I went to heck after I had babies... I hope to spring back any time now!