Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Toddle Along Tuesday: NAMES



Choosing a name was the #1 toughest part of pregnancy for us. No joke! I'm really envious of people who already have their boy and girl name picked out and they aren't even pregnant yet! LOL.  Being a teacher, I wanted a name that was unique and that I didn't have a negative memory attached to.  What you see in blue was my list of boy names I liked.  Nick hated every one of them.  So I got five baby name books from the library and luckily stumbled upon the ones in purple that I also liked. 

Nick agreed on Blaine.  Phew. I actually fell in love with that name long long long ago.  Every hear of Blaine Wilson?


Famous male gymnast from Ohio.  He was hot.  He had big muscles.  And he had a unique name that was unforgetable to me.  I definitely did not name my child after him, but he was the ONLY Blaine I had ever heard of as of July 2010 when I chose that name. 

Jump to October 2010.  If you watch Glee you'll recognize this face:
 

Thanks to Blaine on Glee, I doubt my Blaine will be the only Blaine at his school.  But I guess that's ok, way too many people think his name is BLAKE when I tell them BLAINE over and over. 

So there you have it!   I don't enjoy picking names, waaay too stressful! :)  I read in a magazine today that 10% of parents don't like the name they chose for their child.  Well, I'm more in love with the name now than I was when we picked it.  I think it is the perfect name for my little bunny buddy. 


6 comments:

Abby said...

He looks like such a big boy in that picture! So cute!

We have yet to name baby boy #2 that arrives in six weeks. We're just stuck. Kyle was on our list for a while too!

Elizabeth said...

We were those dorks who had baby names picked out before we were even engaged- ha! #2 is going to be a lot harder- my husband is still in love with our girl name; me, not so much. I love the name Blaine- unique, but easy to say and spell. Good job- ha!

Kara said...

I picked Faith's name when I was 10 weeks pregnant and just told my husband "Well, we can talk about boy names, but I know it's a girl and her name is Faith" hahaha. The next time, he gets to pick. Maybe.

Diana @ frontyardfoodie said...

Aww, I like your method and so cute that you have that written down!

I can't stand picking names either. It's intimidating and kind of scary. My husband and I had a deal that if we had a girl I'd pick the name and if we had a boy he'd pick the name. So when we found out were having a boy I was relieved and only had to approve the name.

Now that I'm pregnant again I was terrified it'd be a girl for many reasons (love having a boy, scared of girl emotions, I have TONS of boys stuff, etc) but mostly because I didn't want to use the girl name I picked for my previous pregnancy, it just seemed wrong, and I couldn't for the life of me come up with another one. Fortunately, it's a boy. Whew!

I love both the names for our sons and love them more all the time! What can I say? My husbands a good name picker. hehe

Melissa @ Growing Up Geeky said...

Blaine is such an awesome name!!

Colleen Hyman said...

What a cutie Blaine is. We went through the same thing with our kid's names. We had a short list. My daughter was sort of named after Norah Jones (the singer). It was a last minute add and she's every bit of Norah. My son's name is Donovan. My husband's favorite football team is the Philadelphia Eagles. The former QB was Donovan McNabb. I liked the name and was actually thinking of calling our dog that if it was a boy. My daughter (only 2 at the time) heard the name Donovan and told me to stop, that Donovan was her favorite name and proceeded to call my son Donovan when I was 7 months pregnant. So funny how names sort of pop in your head.

I do remember Blaine Wilson! I like the name Blaine too!