Friday, February 20, 2009

In Love with Barns

I guess the whole wedding thing has got me a little nostalgic this week and I've been looking through old pictures from that day. Then I sit here and miss Nick because he's been out-of-state a TON lately for work. He is coming home today and leaving again Monday. Blech.

There were lots of great things from my wedding but my favorite I think had to be the Ohio Bicentennial Barn wedding cake! I went for a cheap wedding not because I had to but because I wanted to. I figured my parents needed to save up for my sister's wedding someday (LOL). We had a picnic / potluck reception outdoors behind my church and the Nick's mom made the cake! (Then there were sheet cakes for the guests).



Of course most people probably don't know what an "Ohio Bicentennial Barn" is so let me explain. There is one in every county, painted free hand by a VERY talented large-scale artist, Scott Hagan. Check out his site, he is AWESOME. He's young too, saving an old art. They are comparable to mailpouch barns. We've seen all 88 and even watched Scott paint 4 of them. It was quite a quest for us; taking about 4 years! Here we are in front of our last one.


If you'd like to check out pictures of others, check out Ohiobarns.com. It is one of my favorite sites that lists barn art in other parts of the the country too. Defiance County is my favorite, make sure to look at it!!

3 comments:

Liz said...

What wonderful wedding cakes! I will go find Lucas and Wood County barns on the site you mention. I was born in Lucas County (Toledo), but moved to Wood County (Perrysburg) when I was 8. My great-grandparents farmed in Wood County.

basebell6 said...

totally cool! i remember both of those barns really well (that is saying something b/c i definitely dont remember all 88 without picture prompting); mainly because the lucas county one had gray colors in the ohio part and the wood county on is right on the turnpike.

Anonymous said...

OMG I love this entry.

You two are SO cute. I love this photo of the two of you. Seriously.

And cheap weddings are totally where it's at. And, of course, that wedding cake is amazing.