Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Blast from the Past

Every now and then I'd like to post some old pics in this blog. Trace my roots, remember where I came from ya know. I love family reunions because you get to hear stories about "how it was back then". My grandma's whole family gets together every 4th of July and my grandpa's on Christmas. I soak in so much history on those two days.


My grandma was the 5th child of 6 in a dairy farming family. Her "daddy" as she still calls him delivered milk in glass bottles and she rode along! Of course no one saved any, but recently someone found a few and gave them too her as a gift. Super cool. I wish I had one.


When she was in 4th grade, the city of Akron took their farm via eminent domain to make Firestone Park, and they had to move the herd and the HOUSE to a new property. 30 years later the "new farm" was cut in two by Interstate 77. What luck. Eventually her younger brother took over the operation and moved it south to Dalton, Ohio where it still exists today. If you could see the park, and the megatropolis of car dealerships / movie theater /fast food places that used to be the two farms it would blow your mind. And kinda sorta make you angry.


This pic is of my grandma in front of the house she lived in while it was being moved. They slept in it at night during the move! CRAZY!



And this is it in the final resting spot:


No comments: